Monday, 11 June 2007

Bad Attitude

So I spend 3 and a 1/2 hours driving to Southampton, to pick up The Boy, who assures me he is packed. Hmmm, there are certainly a few things put in bags, but mostly things are still connected, stuff all over the floor and walls, cupboards still stuffed, far more stuff than when I delivered him here 8 months ago. Fortunately, with the help of a team of hirsute, testosterone-soaked student chums we stuff the car to the gunnels, including overstuffed boot, tied down with string. Another 3 hours drive back (which involved a suddenly sheared exhaust pipe) has exhausted the poor lad. First he has to call Roxie (in the states), then have toast and a drink and collapse in front of the telly. "Oi!" he is told as I struggle in with stuff. Slowly, langorously, he gets up off the sofa and takes a few bits upstairs, while I finish off the boot. I have to pop into town, and when I get back, the contents of the boot have certainly been removed, but he is now in the bath.
Not confident that further progress on the car will be made, I empty the contents to the hall way. In the meantime, he has taken himself up to his room in the attic and has not returned, despite my entreaties, and is presumably asleep. The dustmen are here tomorrow, perhaps I shall threaten him with them.
I have also made a start on his washing:

That is 17 (SEVENTEEN!) pairs of boxers. Last time he came back, he brought no laundry at all, which I convinced myself was a Good Thing as he was obviously keeping on top of it. Silly old me.
Back for three days and off to the States. Lucky his mum (the one who lives in a real castle) overpaid him, and he did some work for me back in March, so he is reasonably solvent. And he intends to do some work over there, before their road trip to Colorado.
Today, the hallway is clear, but I dare not go to his room until he is gone again.
On the plus side, he has deleted a load of stuff (in a rather patronising way, I thought) which was slowing my steam powered computer up. While he is away, I may exchange components between my PC and his. That'll learn him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So after the first seventeen days he went commando?

Lord Hutton said...

Wear again

Unknown said...

My boy just moved to Plymouth on Saturday but not before texting me his account number and sort code (Subtle hints not his strong suit!)

He rode down on his motorbike with a 90 litre rucksack on his back, and I was on tenterhooks expecting a call from some accident and emergency dept telling me they had found him upside down like a turtle.

Peter said...

jg - You assumed that he put on a fresh pair each day... He might have made each pair last a week...

henry said...

them pants, did you have to break them over your knee to get them into the washing machine?

Skywolf said...

Yuuuuuuccckkkk...

Young men. Who on earth wants them around, anyway?