Friday, 25 May 2007

Left Out

Mel is out with the “girls” tonight (a bunch who like to call themselves the “Mason-ettes” because their husbands/partners seem mostly to be in that club), up at the local Golf Club, a venue reknowned for it’s 21st century values, ahem. The other women are all going with their husbands/partners, with the exception of Mel, whose partner is not invited(although he is allowed to give her a lift up to Haldon). This could be for one of several reasons:

1. She is on the pull;

2. She realises her partner would be uneasy in a social situation involving masons and golf ;

3. She doesn’t want to be embarrassed by her partner who might be tempted to make sniffy comments about masons/golf/sexism etc in front of her chums;

4. She enjoys a night out with her friends, whatever the event, and he would prefer a night in messing about on the computer.

I am currently going with no.3

7 comments:

omally said...

My uncle is a mason. Rather, he's an ex-uncle cos my mum's sister divorced his sorry ass a few years ago as he's such a mysoginistic wanker and a bully.
Once, my auntie was ordered (not asked nicely) to give a speech about how wonderful her hubby was for being promoted within the masons.
Masons? I'd be tempted to say 'you're better off not going anyway, they're all gits' but a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch and they shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush. :)

omally said...

I'd also say #2 is applicable.
Stop fretting. :)

Andre Veloux said...

3 goes without saying, I guess you know by now if it was 1 ;)

Dakota said...

I am going with no.4 :)

Sam said...

They're probably just busy recording a follow-up to their early 80s hit single, "Heartache Avenue"

NigelH said...

I'm sure you could resist that teensy-weensy temptation!

Skywolf said...

Poor you. I was at the golf club a few weeks ago for a drink... we have a friend who's an extreme golfer, but a lovely lady nevertheless, and she invited us to meet her there one evening. It's not as bad as you might think, actually. I think it's come a long way since the ultra-snob days. And it's worth a visit just for the view. Absolutely stunning from up there.