Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Loud

So, today, I had two meetings (Shopmobility and Audit Commission inspection, and post meeting discussion with colleagues); finished dealing with 24 hours of emails at 15.45 (subjects included Local Transport Plan, Benchmarking, upcoming regional meetings, cycle parking etc etc), fielded calls from Commissioner, a Councillor, someone from Government Office; dealt with a troublesome planning application, ordered some cycle parking equipment, dealt with a stray invoice or two; got delegated to attend several meetings later in the month, on behalf of other more senior people. And achieved nothing. As usual.
For my trouble, I got a telling off from my new manager for being TOO LOUD in a meeting (with my own team, or what is left of it) and smelling of beer after lunch (not yet illegal). Well, I'm the quietest of people and often criticize myself for not contributing enough in meetings. It wasnt for being inappropriate, or saying the wrong things, just too loud. All I did was defend my colleague and make sure he didnt get weighed down with too much work. So if I get told off for being too loud (nobody else thought so), I think I will just give up. I responded to new manager by outlining stress symptoms and lack of desire to be there at all. Response was that I am a pretty good person to have around (careful, cant afford to lose even more staff). Hopefully, that has created an impression of being dangerously volatile and unpredictable. I have no idea why I was singled out for loudness: I thought my contribution to the meeting was critical but friendly. I feel angry and bullied.
I am sick of having so much to do that I achieve nothing. The office telephone list features staff crossings out in my section and Admin. None in the other sections. hmmm. I have felt ill for 9 months now, and dont need to be told I am too loud.

2 comments:

Rich said...

Shhh...

Anonymous said...

TROUTY SAYS:
This is YOUR life. If you're life involves something that makes you unhappy, you will be ill. Stress is a killer.
Rethink your life and do what makes you happy.
I promise you that ,on this occasion, I know what I'm talking about.