As advised by my counsellor, (write things down, break tasks into achievable sections, make note of your achievements, keep things in perspective, no-one will die) I told my new manager of my ongoing mental and physical health problems. Not in a wussy or wimpy way, but "here are the physical and mental symptoms. I am trying to cope". In response, it was suggested I work from home one day a week, to be formally calenderised(sic), in order to catch up and gave myself some breathing space. She doesnt want to lose me, and if this helps then all strength to her elbow (she now has three teams to run, when once there was one. I dont envy her). As I talk to others, in my unguarded way, I am learning that I am not the only who thinks they are a fraud, waiting to be found out, and not the only one who is really 12/18 years old, whatever. But a day a week at home, choosing when and how I work? Joy!
I was rescued at a "meeting" today: there were 15 people there (that's a conference, not a meeting). The director saw I was nodding off, and brought highways issues forward, so me and a colleague could chip in and leave. Not only did I swear after in front of the admin people outside(they thought the disrespect to meetings was funny), I congratulated my also-released-colleague on his ability to sleep with his eyes open. I just wish I had been a bit harder, and told them there are likely to be some very hard to solve issues with their development. It'll all come out in the wash.
2 comments:
I sometimes work from home.... Working at home has negatives as well as positives.
On the positive side, (if noone else is around to disturb you) you'll probably find you get a lot more actually done. You can do things at your own pace, etc. You don't have to queue up to make a cuppa either! Working at home is also good for the environment (no fuel used = no pollution) and your pocket (no fuel.....).
On the negative side, it IS very easy to waste time. It is also very easy to end up doing too MUCH work.... if you normally end your day at 5:30, then that's when you get up & stop (assuming you actually DID start at 9:00!!). It can also get a bit lonely, if you are used to being in a busy office.
Another negative point is that you have to buy your own coffee & teabags!
Word Verification = mantra.... go read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantra :-)
Working at home, lucky you. I wish I could work at home but i@d never get the coach in through the front door. Don't drink too much coffee.
Post a Comment