After my email to the Boss yesterday, I was summoned for a chat (after a discussion of our "Zero Based Budgeting" which Municipal Planning Departments are supposedly exempt from (according to Wikipedia, except that reference is now removed, damn my eyes). "Shock, Horror, Top Executive Reads Own emails!" He was quite concerned about my attitude. Even though I might be a nice guy on top, I am always being accused of having an "attitude". Must learn to halt sarcasm and folded unfriendly arms.
We went through my emither point by point:
1 there is to be no Sustainability Officer (ie Andy Pandy’s post) as it was unfunded. Therefore there will be no walking/cycling/sustainable transport promotion/monitoring except 4 and 5 below
Andy Pandy was paid through a strange mechanism that was not like ordinary employees. If the money is still there I can have it. It is, and half his post still has a function (see 4 and 5 below). RESULT for a half post for a year. And presumably the other half of that budget is mine too..
2 Concessionary Fares (1/2 post) is going upstairs to Looby Loo;
Still to be finalised
3 School Travel Plans are funded for a further 12 months (1/2 post) but there is no one in our employ to do it further once Big Ears leaves (although he may be willing to stay)
Could be combined with the other 1/2 post, see 1 above. RESULT
4 Bikeability Cycle training goes to Looby Loo as it is self funding (we are interviewing the instructors tomorrow, Thursday)
Interviews postponed due to weather, but this is now out of my hands. I will still do the interviews though. RESULT
5 The Cycle Scheme (currently operated by Little Weed (temp) is going to Looby Loo? It will need a handover to someone
Acknowledged. Will Happen
6 Captain Scarlet is underpaid (if he can do a presentation to the Directors of Evil, he doesn’t need to be paid so little)
If he gets a little training and qualification (already up and running: he is doing his own training privately, and I have found him some more with an Institute that will cost under £500), he will be re-evaluated. He is happy. It was part of his annual review and therefore entirely justified. RESULT
7 Captain Black will not be back until April earliest
We will have to cope
8 You agree that our main contribution to Local Transport Plan 3 currently is lending Captain Blue to The Evil Empire in lieu of cash
Agreed, but I need him back. Wont be long.
9 We are losing 3 admin staff in March, all of whom have detailed professional/technical knowledge and skills which I and Larry the Lamb employ. See
10.
Acknowledged. Admin Manager expects to provide me and Larry with at least 2 currently employed Admin staff returning off Maternity Leave. There will be a changeover period before the 3 leave in March RESULT
10 You expect me to negotiate with The Flower Pot Man for replacement Admin staff who may well be required to have technical ability see 9 above.
See 9 RESULT
11 I am not paid as a manager but I am expected to bear management responsibility
I am sort of paid as a manager in that I have a temporary pay increase, but that happens to be exactly the same as what I will get when Job Evaluation is finalised for doing my original job, so it is not really a payrise at all. The other day I was expected to make the same contribution as 3 Executive Heads of Service at a meeting but I bet they get at least 30K a year each more than I do. And I did the negotiation with the consultants afterwards.
Brushed under the carpet but point made.
12 I do not have a manager, as this post has been deleted
Will have to wait for the new structure in April. Whatever, it'll only have been 18 months. Pointed out that my section has taken a 50%hit, more than anyone else, but we negotiated that to around 25% when the removal of tasks to Looby Loo was factored in.
I am sorely tempted to be very bitter about all of the above. Your support and advice would be welcome
Given, listened to. Laughed about it
All in all, it seems raising my profile in a professional way has done me no harm at all. I may even get the respect given to the other Service Managers. No. That would be wrong, given respect because I am not that little temporary manager who doesnt join in with all the other games going on, and has got something positive to contribute with concern for my area of work. It wouldn't be good to hit him with a huge moan too often, and some results will be required, but I convinced him that even that would be possible, given time (learning the talk: Mayor's Vision, Investment Plan, Study of this, Study of that....)
As related to my Executive Head of Service. Some names have been changed in the interests of privacy
2 comments:
Hi Lord
Seems that we are all experiencing the same problems with regard to cut backs. One thing I hate about higher management is the fact that they think challenging them is having an attitude.
Keep up the good work
Happy New Year
LadyB
It caused by paranoia which is described as an extreme and unreasonable suspicion of other people and their motives ( though in local government I suspect it might not always be unreasonable)
Post a Comment