Wednesday, 31 December 2008

Small World and a New Year

My cousin was born in Leicester, like I was. Her dad, my dad's brother, died years ago, after they moved to Norfolk, while I moved to London with my parents. Years later, after only meeting at weddings and funerals, we discover we live 30 miles apart in Devon, she up a dead end on the edge of Dartmoor in a beautiful cottage, us by the sea in my teignmouth slum.
Since my dad died, we have got together twice and it is like old friends with much more in common than mere genes. She devours books, so do I, M and her love the same mags and TV programmes (and my cousin helps make some of them eg "Penis Envy" and "Noel's Christmas Presents" whatever they are)
Weirder still, M's best mate has a friend who was interviewed for a job recently (and got it) by my cousin herself (unusual name, that's how we got the connection).
And after lunch at their's, we went on a walk that should have been 350 yards to find a geocache (and I thought I could cheat because their 1 mile lane is "access only" so official parking is miles away), but it took us 2 miles walking in the freezing cold because of the footpaths and topography but they found it and are converts.
And then we met my daughter who was throwing a big spread for her neighbours.
and JOOLS hootenany and I ought to go to bed.
This laptop business is new to me (new in that I have one that works: thanks dad) but it keeps me popular with M so I can feed her with drinks, keep her company, and talk rubbish,
Happy 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"but it took us 2 miles walking in the freezing cold because of the footpaths and topography"

Are you sure it's not just because you're rubbish at finding caches? Har har har! :)

Happy New Year!