Monday, 21 July 2008

Generally Lost

No point going to work this morning as have been invited to Yeovil Junction for a meeting of Salisbury Exeter Lineside Consortium of Authorities. Slightly earlier train than necessary enables me to fart about in the Somerset/Dorset borderlands finding (or not finding, harrumph) a couple of geocaches within walking distance of the station. At the meeting I even manage to say my 2 bob's worth, for a change.

At the station is a van worth steering clear of:

Had my "RADAR" yesterday (job assessment, target setting, training programme etc), the pointlessness of which was confirmed by my boss's complete ignoring of/not spotting (the utter darling), my total non-jobbedness at the moment, or at least my opinion of it. He didn't even complain about my total lack of preparation (I think we both know how to tick boxes), A Management Course now awaits (oh joy, I can build a bloody raft already, I was in the scouts)! I am so slack I even forgot to ask him about getting over the bar that stopped me from getting an automatic pay rise this year.
M seems to be in a similar situation: she wants to do graphic design, but spends most of her time on admin. For the first time, we both want to move on. I feel a paycut coming on, but may be a more rewarding job. Like Park Ranger (free wellies and landrover!), Astronaut, train driver, do-gooder(I pick up enough bloody litter in the neighbourhood, for goodness sake), even the guys digging up the road look like they are doing something worthwhile. Anything where I could achieve something tangible. I dont know. I'd sell the house (4 bedrooms for 2 people plus the Boy as lodger for the summer, and he is totally autonomous these days), but now doesn't seem to be a good time. At least M seems to have sold her tiny house in Newton Abbot, which is Stage One of the Master Plan for buying a place together and making something of the buying each other a ring affair. A barge somewhere, and take life as it comes as a gipsy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "gipsy"... You mean a "gypsy"!
ROFLMAO

I liked Newton Abbot..seemed more cosmopolitan than Castle Circus in Torquay..

So housing market is lame there too? My house has been on the market since April. Had one offer that fell through too..

Good luck

Peter said...

I got my RADAR (or PADR as we call them) in a couple of weeks time. Yes they are a wastle of time. Every year i ask for a pay rise to bring me in line with the other and each year I get bulls**t back. Oh god how I long to leave this place

Mr H

henry said...

I wrote a long reply.
Just as I was about to hit 'enter' my poxy compluter disconnected.

I can't write it all out again.

Let's talk on the blower, eh?

omally said...

You sound like Ratty from Wind in the Willows when he meets the French sea-rat.

It's not as hard as it seems, taking a pay-cut. I'm a million times happier in my current job and I don't even work a full week, yet the bills are getting paid. Sure, at this rate I'll never have a holiday in the Caribbean but then I don't really care about that :)

Max said...

Don't let the B@#!tards get you down

Claire said...

*hugs. Hopefully you'll figure out what it is that you should be doing and it'll be alot more rewarding. Doing a job you hate is awful *hugs xxxx but ooooo the rings things :)