Saturday, 9 February 2008

Twenty Four Hour White Van Man

Having finally extracted her tenant from her little one-up, one-down cottage by Newton Abbot Station, Mel is finally in the last stages of getting it on the market. This involves "dressing it" (something to do with a TV programme, apparently). She has had offers of furnishings for lend from several of her friends for this purpose, so we hired a van

and I was allowed to drive it (along with doing most of the lugging) all around South Devon,

(it was foggy this morning) picking up various futons, dis-assembled beds, chests of drawers etc plus stuff from my house eg dining room table and chairs, pictures for the walls etc (I have had to be especially observant and pleading to stop some items being removed).
Apparently, part of the deal was that in exchange for the borrowed furniture, we had to take stuff to the dump for our friends, so we ended up dropping stuff at the house three times, and visiting the dump twice. The first time at the dump, we had to beg for help from the hire company (only a mile away), where the van managed to lock every door, all by itself, while the keys were in the ignition and we were on the outside. Some dodgy electronics there.
As some of the borrowed stuff was not required to be returned, we have acquired an IKEA chest of drawers (in beech) with a second to follow when not required at Mel's house. And a 10' by 6' rug which was being sent to the dump ("It's old and dirty". "But you have never owned anything old and dirty in your life!"), so now it's in our dining room.
One couple we visited have moved to Dartmoor (17 paces from the Tavistock Inn) where each time we visit, this phone box is at a worse angle.

White van man incidents: 1. the speedo goes up to 150MPH which needed investigating; 2. I was forced to overtake one of those nasty narrow upright cars which people buy in their dotage, at a spot I would rather not have been on the wrong side of the road. Otherwise, I was kind and tolerant while at the wheel.
And finally, here is a picture of a walrus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh! Monty has taken the post of dining table radiator monitor:)

Mermy

Lord Hutton said...

Indeed Chris. Cat things have changed somewhat

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...Driving in or around "the moors" at night was quite an experience. I think we were somewhere west, like Ashburton or Buckfastleigh, heading back to Torquay... Anyway, it got dark and foggy.. and very hair-raising for a yank who likes wide roads and driving on the left side of the car..

cogidubnus said...

What a magnificent walrus...I have five just like him...I sometimes think my life is measured by the generations of cats, and my (?) home is but a feline waiting room...

Plymothian said...

I had a better day
:D

Anonymous said...

Kind and tolerant at the wheel? Hmmm...