Sunday, 24 February 2008

Sleeping with the Enemy

I made my way to Coventry on Saturday, by train via Reading, where I missed my connection, due to faffing about trying to find a geocache outside the station (and yes, I saw it's lights disappearing into the distance as I arrived on the platform) but caught up on myself, fortunately, as Cross-country have a half hourly service between Reading and Brummagem. Andy took us to the pub where we met his older step son and mate, and eventually we drove out to the Ricoh Stadium, which is actually a very impressive ground, if sadly non-served by rail in spite of the adjacent railway line. I allowed myself to be taken into the wrong end ie amongst Coventry supporters. Again.
Back in the late 70s/early 80s I went into the away end at Filbert Street (Leicester)with him and another away friend, and we were nearly lynched by baying Leicester fans when the stupid stewards (why do we need two words for "stupid stewards"? "stewards" ought to do for both)opened the gates too early, in the days where standing supporters were seperated only by a steel fence and they all came round for a fight in the away section and I nearly got killed in my own city) Why do I let him do this?
The first half was spent in a relatively friendly part of the ground where Matt (the step son's mate) could freely wind me up about the score and the general crappiness of Leicester City, as if Coventry aren't crap. Of course, there's no local rivalry or anything like that.
The second half (at half time you are allowed outside for a ciggy! Never seen that before, and a fizzy bottle of beer) was spent in the vicious hating spitting shouting swearing gesturing bit right across from the Leicester fans (I thought it would be interesting) and where Matt called out to his mates ("Oz!", "Stiggy!" Why do they always have those sort names?). I felt safe (ish) because Andy is my old friend and I had to trust Matt and Haden (and Matt has a dodgy past, so you dont mess with him)and I kept a rictus smile when all around were cheering, jeering etc.
I usually go to football on my own (living 250 miles from my home town sort of requires this) which makes me want to leave early and not want to go again, because it always seems so dull, so going with friends actually makes it a special occasion, (in spite of the result). I dont think I want to do it again soon though. £100 for a day's entertainment is a pretty expensive day out.
And when I did finally arrive home, after a very tight connection at Reading for the last train west, M had bought me a lovely bottle of Fairtrade Carmenere to round off the evening, bless her.

8 comments:

Andre Veloux said...

You gotta break that addiction to Leicester City LH. But are they going to stay up?

Fairtrade's getting a hammering in the press this week.

Jeangenie said...

You should avoid any sport that requires the spectators to be segregated.

omally said...

Funny (strange, not amusing) how uncivil we are in this country. In Oz, rival fans all sit where they like, drink beer in glasses whilst watching the game, cheer and clap wildly when things go their teams way and revel in the punch-ups that happen on the pitch. Then at the end of the game (no sloping out early in the grim expectation of no late goal to save the match) they all walk out relatively peacefully and all go and get drunk(er) together.
Punch-ups are to be watched, not enjoined, so you might as well rely on trained professionals to do it properly. :)

Lord Hutton said...

Well I think the fans arent allowed to mix because football has it's origins in a tribal, working class local thing, and jeering the opposing fans means you dont have to listen or look at the crass americanisms of cheerleaders and piped "uplifting" music eg "We are the champions" and it gets everyone wound up to support their team and creates an atmosphere that is authentic, not manufactured by the suits at the club. No one fought when the fans mixed outside afterwards

Ladybristol said...

'£100 for a day's entertainment is a pretty expensive day out'

Comedy does cost a lot these days :)

Plymothian said...

lol ladybristol

NigelH said...

I went to COMS on Monday night - my team provided a lot of comedy, too. Everton: two attacks, two goals. I felt like burning my Benjani wig.

Max said...

Football too expensive these days.

Although I am going to watch Walsall play for a friends stag night next week. I support West Bromwich Albion, by support I mean not got to any matches see point one.