Having had to deal with my great aunt's funeral (as eldest next of kin), and driving 500 miles twice in a week to deal with it, and attend a family wedding, and deal with the estates of my great grandmother, grandfather, and great aunt (all as a consequence of my great aunt's passing on, aged 100), and crap and pressure at work, I forgot to take that "small blue pill" for at least three days. As a consequence, I began to feel, exhausted, headachy and dizzy (like I had banged my head on concrete) on Wednesday. Moving my eyes brought instant pain. I puked, was scared of slipping over, but made it home on the train from Exeter, and went straight to bed. Hallucinations, more vomiting, diarrhea, vicious headache, uncontrollable crying, cold sweats and hot shakes followed. When M returned home, she worked out what it was and called NHS Direct. She looked after me so well.
An anti nausea pill (from previous migraines), some sips of water (I could barely barely raise my head: death felt near) and a biscuit, followed by the anti depressant, so long forgotten, lead to a disturbed night of frustration and exhaustion dreams. Not so restful.
The morning was spent staggering to the doctor who reminded that the pill was quite a strong dose, and really shouldn't have been missed like that. By the evening all was feeling a little better, despite some shakiness and floating.
Went back to work for a griefy day, a minor bollocking (for not arranging a room for a big meeting: I had, but others had changed their plans; and not arranging a Powerpoint and projector etc: someone else was responsible for that). Left work with a thanks for everything I did (The meeting went well in spite of 20 people (twice the number expected) crammed into the directors office). I was especially proud of arranging the spinny bit when the ppt slides changed, and the text, obv), Collapsed in front of the fire and wrapped some pressies. I need a prize for carrying on, I reckon.
And now I appear to have volunteered to take 7 year old daughter's daughter to a geocache meet I arranged for Sunday (as a substitute for taking M, who is away).
4 comments:
Somehow I don't feel the urge to crack a joke about the small blue pill now...
I wish you strength, man. At least geocaching should be fun!
Have fun at the event. Glad you have recovered.
TROUTY SAYS:
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now.
I think you take too much upon yourself. I know of no law that says that the eldest next of kin has to do all the donkey work when a death occurs. Let someone else do it next time. You've already done your fair share.
As for taking your granddaughter out on Sunday, if you don't feel up to it then say so and stay in bed. Grandpas are allowed to be under the weather occasionally.
I know that M looks after you but let the others take a turn too sometimes. IT'S YOUR TURN!
Learn to say 'NO'. x
Quite right, Trouty!
The best part of saying 'no' when all you've previously said is 'yes' is the brief look of utter confusion you get from whoever's asking!
Andy, glad you're feeling better again matey :)
Post a Comment