Saturday, 24 January 2009

Recession Buster

Fresh from making jam from allotment raspberries in December, and cucumber pickle using cucumber from a Worcestershire small holding in November, I have moved on to making marmalade from Seville oranges, from the greengrocer (try as I might, oranges won't grow on the allotment: I pretend these are Gazan oranges, free from white phosphorous, hopefully, in solidarity with the Gaza ghetto)

What with darning my own socks and pants, purchasing significant fashion items from the recycling centre, and shopping on foot (with my sexy shopping trolley), all I need now are instructions on how to make my own marmite; make my own pizza with anchovy and capers; and make baked beans from the recently planted broadbeans on the aforementioned allotment; and growing my own tobacco, and beer, and that should see us through any so-called recession. And having a steady job with the council (I have a meeting scheduled for 4pm on Monday: such dedication to duty!), absorbing any unfilled vacancies into my own infinitely absorbent portfolio of tasks, should see a steady, if unsatisfying, progression up the career ladder.
If only the black dog would stay away.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, you've got a spammer! ^^^^

I thought baked beans were haricot beans not broad beans? Still, I'm sure they'll be scrummy. Homemade food is the best. :)

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I'm going to try and make marmalade this year too. And Cchutney - apparently you can make it in the slow cooker, which seems like a big bonus to me.

silver horde said...

Both my mother in law and sister in law had made marmalade this week. I didn't bring any home with me as I didn't want to risk it ending up all over my clothes in my luggage and it is not allowed in my carry-on!!

Plymothian said...

Not quite The Good Life