Friday, 19 October 2007

Kingdom of Fife

I hadn't really thought about going to Scotland, so it was something of a surprise to find myself in the most beautiful place. M's brother has moved house to St Monan's, which is in the East Neuk of Fife, a group of villages between Earlsferry and Crail, or more generally between Kirkcaldy (home of the fabulous Raith Rovers) and St Andrews (formerly home to one of the royal princes), but excluding the fleshpots of Methil and Leven (which we were advised to avoid. By a policeman).
Her brother can't come to her birthday party (a big one), so she decided we should go up to see them, and took over a house they had booked for rent if the house move was delayed. Her sister and partner stayed for a couple of days too.
We have spent 7 days with amazing walks,

superb sunrises

fishing villages



in a clifftop cottage equipped with a bar and jukebox.

We tripped to Aberdeen, which was freezing (a good way further north, and opposite Norway), a superb city with a brilliant main street (Union Street), and a busy industrial port, but surprisingly turning its back to the sea: the ships come into the city, but the city is away from the sea. The sand dunes seemingly preclude much building on the sea front. Also, the winds direct from the North Pole.


This is the second largest granite building in the world (El Escorial being the biggest).
And St Andrews, famous for golf, and a ruined cathedral.


There are an unbelievable number of golf courses along the coast (An expensive way to ruin a good walk), and more being built. Also caravan sites, in every town from the Forth Bridge to Arbroath. Summer homes, not resorts.
What a superb area. Worth a visit, and warm (mostly), even in October. Very friendly people. I was being asked directions, even when I looked like the Wild Man of the Woods
I dont think many English people come up here, but it is worth it. Hurry, before you have to have a passport. Oh. Sorry. You do have to have a passport to get on the plane. Why do they ask those questions? Yes of course I packed it myself, do you think I would answer the question in the wrong way, unless I was simple? Would I admit to leaving my luggage unattended on the ground floor of the bus, while I was upstairs? (Their own system messes them there).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do know that St Andrews is where golf was invented, don't you?

St Andrews - former home of the snowqueen not just a piddling prince!

The view from St Rules tower is just brilliant isn't it - and I loved the photos of Crail harbour. Sigh. It really is a stunningly beautiful area.

Lord Hutton said...

Cheers, Snowqueen. Snandrews was great

cogidubnus said...

Nice pictures...I would guess an incredibly interesting break (I find "interesting" is far more relaxing to the work-tautened mind than "relaxing" - is this a kind of reverse-oxymoron do you think?)... I hope the return to work on Monday isn't too stressful...

Pookledo said...

Those pictures look gorgeous hutters.

Anonymous said...

*is jealous*

Must go back there properly one day. Only flew through by motorbike last time, although we did stop at Anstruther for Fish n Chips (best in the world, there!)

car01 said...

Oi! My Mum's from Leven you know...

Actually, my Dad's brother (his twin brother) always used to go on about how weird Fifers were, and how you'd never catch him in Fife. Haha, he now lives in Fife! My Dad (and obviously his twin brother) are from near Aberdeen. Perishing cold.

Anonymous said...

Better fish n chips than Whitby, Mally?

Anonymous said...

Does Whitby have a chippy that can boast sepcial gold medals for having really good Fish n Chips, Trouty? If not, then the answer to your question would be a definite 'yes'.

:)

Anonymous said...

Great sunset pic hutters!

I've only been to Scotland once and climbed up a mountain, got stuck and I genuinely thought I was going to die in a rockfall! Nice :]

Anonymous said...

*edit [Great sun'rise' pic Hutters:]

Andre Veloux said...

Great trip LH. You know when we went to Aberdeen it was foggy and misty and the place looked like the most miserable on earth, so I am glad to see it in better light (literally).

Dave Hill said...

Some great pics there they all look great