Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Steam Up!

When at mother's, I managed to retrieve my dad's Mamod steam traction engine. It hasn't steamed for forty odd years, and was my grandad's before it was dad's. Probably dates from around 1963. A bit worn, but well preserved.

My mother was afraid it would blow up, and I will order new washers for the safety valve etc, but after a quick repaint/touch-up

I decided to take the risk, equipped with safety goggles. Oil moving parts, boiling water to the level, replace valve, fill burner with meths, light blue touch paper etcand away she goes, just like it had only run yesterdayIt needs a new drive belt, and but apart from that, perfect. What craftsmanship went into producing a machine that works after 40 years of disuse, I can only dream of. All I have to do now is find some mini corn to thresh, or a very small allotment to plough.
And it didn't explode!

3 comments:

omally said...

Hoorah!

Stu said...

Hoorah, indeed!

NigelH said...

That clipart made me jump!