Friday, 15 May 2009

Allotment (Revisited)

While I was away in South America, I was promised maintenance at the allotment by M,

and lo, it was so. (Hushed tones from the allotment secretary: "is that your new girlfriend?" "err of 10 years, yes, she just hasn't been here much"). Constant attention has meant the weeds are under control, and after 18 months, things seem more positive. The broadbeans

and potatoes have flourished out of nowhere, and I have since added maize (home reared), peas, beans, onions and lettuce (from the nursery: I dont have a green house, so a little commercial assistance was necessary). I think I shall need some netting for the lettuce and onions, and some sticks etc. I find peace here, time to reflect and cope with the awfulness of work.
The raspberries, like last year, are unstoppable. Jam, anybody?

7 comments:

maddison-star said...

oooo jam jam jam!

omally said...

Wahey! Awesomeness abounds! Ain't Mother Nature a darlin' when she's given a helping hand?
Well done Mel and you (in order of who's done the most work, natch!)

omally said...

Oh and grow Hosta plants around your Lotty, they're ideal sacrifice plants to spare your veg from slug abuse cos slugs will happily munch on your Hostas before anything else.
Saves scattering all those blue chemical lumps all over the place. :)

Lord Hutton said...

My blue chemical lumps are Oxfam organic, TVM!

omally said...

I still pity the poor slugs, orgasmic pellets or not! Some vegeterrorist you make ;-)

Max said...

Home grown is the best

Andre Veloux said...

Is M taking the credit for all this then?