I am off to Venezuela on Wednesday. My son is at a University in Caracas for a year and is getting embroiled in the socialist revolution, and by default, so am I. I have done my prep, have been to conferences and engaged with politicians. Now to go there and enjoy, to go to the Caribbean, enjoy talking to Venezuelan people, and see what Hugo Chavez and his team are doing to pull the people out of centuries of oppression by the oligarchs. This has been a massive problem in South America, where the wars of independence in the early 19th Century against the Spanish, led by Simon Bolivar, have never managed to throw off the oppressive grip of the rich, white, ruling class left over by the colonialists. Now there is a chance that the people of Venezuela and the nearby republics can actually benefit through education, healthcare and the practice of real democracy. Notwithstanding the huge problems of corruption and the shameful involvement of the US in supporting the ruling class.
Commandante Chavez has won 12 elections since he became President, with no question of electoral fiddling, and has withstood a US supported coup.. If I see him, I'll say hello.
And then. Maybe a trip up country to the Orinoco river, where there are few bridges or ferries. In an all too brief stay, the Boy and I are also off to Machu Picchu in Peru.
4 comments:
Have a fantastic time! Look forward to some pics.
Don't go to the toilet with your camera! Enjoy yourself, of course.
Good look dear H. Have lots of fun and make sure you stay safe! And have fun with that portable personal washer :)
Have a good time, and try to avoid getting arrested.
Post a Comment