Saturday, 14 July 2007

A Mackerel Sky

I was walking to lunch the other day, through the usual scummy alley ways where the drinkers hang out, when I saw a shitehawk with an actual fish, in fact a mackerel.

Seeing as these rats of the sky never catch fish (either because people have made them unavailable, or because it is easier to scavenge), this came as some surprise, especially when I looked up and there were three more mackerel on the wall above

The only conclusion I could come to was that there was an unreported waterspout, events which notoriously pick up fish and other things and drop them inland

(or that one of the drunks had caught/bought some and absentmindedly left them there on the wall). None of the other gulls seemed fussed so maybe fish is a dying habit amongst seagulls. Certainly the ducks outside the Town Hall didnt seem to notice, but then again, they seem to have forgotten about water as well.

3 comments:

Skywolf said...

Ducks?! Outside Torquay Town Hall? Weird birds.

As for the mackerel, there were apparently masses of them leaping out of the water on Shaldon beach the other day. I was down there last weekend, and there were shoals leaping about in the estuary then, but apparently they became suicidal over the following days. People were just picking them up off the beach for dinner, apparently. Perhaps something similar has been going on in Torbay as well?

Dakota said...

What's the world coming to when gulls start eating fish, waterspouts pop up everywhere and duck park their backside in the middle of the street.

Strange little planet we live on!

Anonymous said...

LOL how mad is that?

I still love shitehawks though :]